"The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps".

Friday, April 24, 2009

Fields of Mahango

Today I went out to see the fields with the priest from Lesotho this morning. Which is mostly planted with Mahango. I've seen it refered to as 'pearl millet'. It was an informative trip. I asked him about the cost and we spoke of the amount of profit which could be made. This is my fourth consective agricultural village or small city that I've lived in. So I have an idea on which  questions to ask. But one big (literally) problem that cuts into the farmers profits is the damage done by elephants. We went to see a lady's field in which an elephant or two did considerable damage. If it wasn't eaten, it was trampled. But the struggle goes on for the people. There was a first today. We got a computer hooked up to the internet. The first time ever in this village. It is for the health clinic's usage. Now it is time to teach them how to use it. This should really help to start the process of moving forward.

No comments: