"The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps".

Thursday, April 23, 2009

First giant step

The nightly routine that has developed over the whole six days I've been here goes as follows. Five o'clock it is the quarter mile jaunt to the tap to fetch water. Then it is wash up time which is followed by supper. It continues by going to watch what has been to this point, predominately Nigerian movies. I have up to this juncture been going with the people I've been staying with. I must note that it is almost totally dark out here in the village at night. Tonight I decided it was time to venture out in the solo mode. Instead of going to see a movie I would head to the clinic. So off with my red LL Bean windup flashlight in hand I go. Finding the clinic was a bit tricky and after a few backtracks I arrived. All was well until half way on the return trip home. I don't know what happened but a funny thing did, I ended up wandering around actually lost for half an hour. The only thought that kept re-entering the mind was watching the people kill a black mamba in the area I had to travel through just this very afternoon. After ten minutes I half expected to see one of the mambas reared up in the middle of the path. I was becoming a little concerned when I happened to stumble onto the school which gave me my bearings. When I walked through the door they mentioned that they thought I was lost. I kind of sheepishly said that I was slightly lost (understatement). So that is my first giant step in an effort to be self sufficient. In the end it was alright. But for a minute I thought that I'd be blogging from somewhere in the night Namibia.

No comments: