"The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps".

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Somber Saturday

  During the time I've spent in other countries
and cultures over the almost last ten years, I
have seen different customs concerning death
and burial.

  Today was the funeral for the young girl that
died tragically two weeks ago. I am sure that
there is curiosity as to what the tragic event was
and I can only say that her and her friend felt
safer jumping out of the cab of a trailer truck
while it was traveling about 90 kmph or 60 or
so mph, than staying in it.

  This morning the church was to capacity for the
funeral of this 16 year old girl named Appolonia.
Throughout the ceremony there were six of her
classmates holding candles (3 on each side of
her coffin) ... standing vigil over her. Every so often
the ones holding the candles were replaced by
others.

  Funerals are very emotional anywhere in the world.
I've experienced funeral practices from different religions,
cultures, tribes and regions but this one seemed to
be the one with the most emotion and expression.
What affected me the most was a moment at the
grave. The people were singing this song and I
don't know what it was but it hit a nerve
and I had a tear or two.

  The song went like this ...

Blessing, blessing Appolonia, this is Omega (name of
the village), we are your friends. Blessing and glory
onto you.

  I don't know what it was about it that touched me so,
but all I could think of was, here is the village and
her friends wishing her well as we say our last goodbye.

  What I've liked throughout my time in Africa is the
life with emotion. Be it happy or sad.

  So this day sadly didn't disappoint.

  In the end all I could think of was the needless tragic
event that took another all too young person.

  I guess I can close this blog article by saying ....
Appolonia, this is the village, we are your friends ...
may you rest in peace.









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.