"The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps".

Sunday, May 10, 2009

This is dedicated to

The volunteers that were in Senegal with me during the day (2003 to 2005). What you are looking at (in photo) is what we looked at all too many times in our villages. Yes, yes, yes, peanuts for the 'maffe gerte' (did I spell that right?) or peanut sauce. It was kind of funny how the other night I took a bite into the porridge and was stopped in my masticating tracks. It was a shock of familiar flavor and I was actually stumped as to what it was. It was another attack of nostalgia. It was Southern Senegal, it was like being with the Pulaars again. It was all your familar muggs coming into my noggin in a nano second's duration of a collage. It was great to see us as we were, forever young in the 'Fouladou'. I then re-focused and asked, is this peanut sauce? Got the answer in the affirmative and I commenced to tell people in this in Namibia about the good old peanut sauce eating days of Senegal. So this was a definite 'Back to Africa' moment. During my time with you guys I probably complained at least a few times about the overdose of peanut sauce that was ingested over the two and a half years. What I have to say now is that it is a case of not knowing what I had till it's gone. Got to say that it is better the second time around. So it looks like peanut sauce tonight. I don't know if it's possible to dedicate eating a plate of food in someone's honor, but I will. So, here's looking at you 'Fouladou' crew.

2 comments:

Jack said...

Hey Paul, how about a peanut sauce recipe! Love the blog. "Masticating tracks" - ha, I love that.

Bene said...

A jaraama Bouba!