"The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps".

Friday, May 29, 2009

The mixture is

What I hope will vault me into dry season
home garden fame here in the village. The
garden I began a few weeks back is coming
along but, kind of slowly.
So, first here is the excuse. The location where
the garden is, had corn planted when I arrived for
the site visit sometime about 4 lifetimes ago or
really about 2 and half months back. I noticed
that the corn really looked kind of sad and half
grown. I think that the soil is in the tired stage
of it's gardening usability.
The thinking was to put some beans and peas
in the hope that they would help replenish the
what I think is, depleted soil. But also I am trying
to demonstrate a vegetable garden with a low
water consumption.
The are about 30 plants all toll and with placing
water directly into the plastic rings around the
stems it takes about 5 liters or 1.32 gallons
every second day.
Like I've mentioned the plants are going along
ok and a little too slow for my liking and I am
thinking that it is a crime , seeing as I am trying
to feature the merits of a low consumption garden.
So, here enters the 'mixture' (in photo). Many
of you already know about it but as of the many
people I've asked here, no one has seen it
before. The 'mixture' is dried cow dung and water.
I've watered the garden with a 1/5 solution.
One-fifth being that of the 'mixture' with the rest
just plain old water.
It is supposed to work as liquid fertilizer and I,
with it, will be putting my reputation on the line.
Maybe I am just wishing but I believe that the
plants perked up a bit after last week's application.
Tomorrow will be the day to apply another dose.
I am thinking that a weekly watering could help
save the day.
If the 'mixture' can save the day, then I will post
a picture of what I am eagerly wishing to harvest,
beans and peas bigger than our heads.

No comments: