"The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps".

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Basket makers but ...

Those are a bunch of really nice looking baskets but
... they weren't made in the village. They were made
in another one about 30 miles away.
These are somewhat of a unique styled basket made
from what I believe to be a part of the palm tree. They
harvest the material then they color it using organic
sources from which they use to dye the basket weaving
material.
For the darker color which is somewhat of a shade of black
they use an old coca-cola can that's been weathered a lot.
It also has to be some type of a metal that when the
weaving material is is emersed it turns it into the color
they desire.
These baskets are noted to be somewhat of a San (Khwe)
design.
I have to say that the picture doesn't do them justice, they
are really nice.
It was fun being present when the women came literally
running out of the bush with their hand crafted baskets.
It was also fun watching the bartering process and how
animated it got at times.
Personally I was glad that this time I wasn't in the middle
of it.
For the women it is a source of income and if they don't
sell they don't get paid. So, it is understandable the
emotions could get a little animated.
Only now I am thinking if the village that I'm living in has the
capability or the interest to make something similar.
Looks like that will be tomorrow's quest, do some asking
and see what is or is not possible.
I'll start asking first thing in the morning while working in
the women support group's garden. Looking for another
two birds with one stone moment.

1 comment:

Irene's Blog said...

I want one. I might just have to go to Namibia for a shopping spree!!! I love baskets and bags!!!