"The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps".

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Time to say goodbye

There is less than 24 hours left for me in
Namibia and the Peace Corps. So, it is
time to say goodbye to both.

This was a great tour. It was all that I hoped
it could have been.

The feeling of nostalgia led to reflect back from
the beginning on 5 September 2000.

Since then there have been countries called
El Salvador, Senegal, Romania and of course,
Namibia. There have been villages called
Sihuanango, Goundaga, Nadlac and Omega.
They've been people called Osmin, Segnor Jose,
Demba, Amadou, Pisti, Ioli, David and Susanna.
They've been volunteers like Karen aka Karina,
Bene, Pat, Brendan, Big John, Sam and Peggy.

All those countries, villages, counterparts and
fellow volunteers have help to make incredible
memories. All of these, pieces of the mosaic of life.

I leave feeling at peace and as of now, there are
no future plans, just ideas.

It will be home and after this amount of time away,
a period of adjustment. I've changed as I spent
day after day with Mayan, Fulani, Roma, Romanian
and San/Bushman people. I've taken bits and
pieces from each culture and made those
pieces, part of me.

Everything between the fire flies of Sihuanango
in El Salvador to the Southern Cross in the
sky over Omega in Namibia have been magical
and precious.

But it is time and I found the picture above of the
kids in the San Cultural Group waving goodbye
and I thought it a good last picture to post.

As this will be my last blog post I thank everyone
who has come to this blog over the years.

Maybe the adventures are over or maybe not. My
heart says no but the future holds the answer.

So the ride that began 5 September 2000 ends on
20 May 2012.

And ... it has been a good one.

2 comments:

Pat Owen said...

It was a good Paul! Best to you on your transition.

Unknown said...

hi Paul, I'm ervin, a guy that you had regular meetings with. I'm trying to find you at least two years. now i found the blog but the last post was about year ago. If you will read this message, please reply me at this adress: schaferervin@yahoo.com. thank you