"The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps".

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Baptism in Okahandja

While I was visiting with the home stay family,
one of the girls had her baby girl baptized.
In the picture you can see the baby with her
godmother who's name is Maria.

The baptism was held at the Ovambo Lutheran
Church. The Ovambo people are the majority
tribe in Namibia. In this church Oshiwambo
(the name of the language of the Ovambo people)
is spoken which meant that I understood about a
total of zero. I was in a majority San village and
the difference between the Ovambos and the San
are, to use a worn out phrase, night and day. They
are about as polar opposite as opposite can be.

There were 8 babies baptized and I took a video
clip and so when Martha (name of baby girl) is
older she'll have something to see.
I was the only white person in the church which
always leads to some interesting looks. After
all these years of being, the different person, it
isn't a problem. More like business as usual.
One funny thing did happen that Sunday at the
end they had some kind of collection.
Africans have pretty extensive expanded family
relations and a church collection consisted of a
person from that family lineage standing in front
with a bag in their hands. Then each one from that
family would go up and put change in the respective
bags.

One lady in a bench ahead of me pointed to me
(while smiling) and told me to stand up. I did not
knowing what I was standing up for. The whole
church burst out laughing.
When I sat down someone explained to me that I
just pledged to give to that family just like I was a
family member.
I have to admit, it was funny.

At home afterwards they had enough food to feed
almost the whole church and I told them, this is
way too much. But of course I was wrong because
I didn't know the Ovambo customs. There were
people falling out of the sky, literally. It was a two
day thing with every person coming eating like
heck.
And ... plates sent out by kids to the neighbors.
I didn't understand much as they spoke Oshiwambo
so I just was there.
Despite just being there it was a great experience
and even after all these years of being in places
like this, there is always something new to see and
learn.

But that time is coming to an end soon as tomorrow
it is off to the capital Windhoek to begin the
out-processing.

This time next week I will be on my way home.

No comments: