"The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps".

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Getting into hot water

In the picture is what they call here a jerry
can. This one is made of plastic and I can
say that to me ... it is a hot water heater.
It is a simple concept if one doesn't have an
apparatus to produce hot water and doesn't
want to struggle with the fire wood gig.
One of the best things is there are no moving
parts, except the twist cap. So it makes it a
maintenance free system.
Here in Namibia there is about 300 days a year
(average) with sunshine. Since I've arrived back to
Namibia after a month back home I've only used
anything other than sun to both cook and heat
water, twice.
Doing some seat of the pants not so accurate
math I figure that out of about 148 days I used
the sun 98.65% of the time.
It goes like this ... 8 in the morning put the food
in the solar oven and jerry can with water in the
sun, finished. When I come back by noon every-
thing is ready.
Oh, and I got to say, that hot water can get scalding
hot. It can turn someone's cheeks another color
without a problem.

Some Young San Cultural Group info. Today at the
village school the dignitaries came to inaugurate
a new building. The group was on the schedule to
perform and again, they brought the house down.
(Probably not a good thing to do after they just
built it, eh).
When they started everyone came running from
wherever to see. I've seen them do their dances
maybe a few hundred times but the kids never
seize to amaze me as to how well they've not
only improved their dancing but also their capacity
to entertain.
In two blog entries back (the one about the trip to
the lodge) I mentioned how Mavandje (the girl that
impersonates the monkey in the animal dance)
went up to an old man with white hair and acted
out grooming and taking out insects from his hair.
Well, this time when she danced the animal dance,
the old man with the not white hair but balding
nonetheless, was the victim. Yup, it was me.
Man, I knew she was going to do it, it happened
per chance that I was sitting in the front row and
I am like, oh oh. She's dancing next and I am
in a perfect position. Of course it happened, the
people had a great laugh, I probably blushed. It
was just great.
So as the sun is beginning to set over this village
out in the bush in Southern Africa, I will say ...
tcaka kara ee, maka tca ... stay in peace where-
ever you are.

No comments: