"The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps".

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Reinforcements ... aka ... new site mate

In the picture is Gretchen my new site mate.
She is here to work at the village school and
from what I've seen, she'll do just fine and I
got this feeling that she will help out the learners
immensely.

She is a brand new Peace Corps volunteer and
when the picture was taken she had been in the
village about a total of 12 hours.

As for me, it is the first time that I've had a site mate
but I guess having the Romanian guy living in the
village kind of makes it like there are two site mates.

For this village having as many good people whom
are willing to try their best to help out ... is really
going to make a difference albeit ... maybe not
earth shattering.

This last week, me and the Romanian guy got together
to help out in fixing up Gretchen's lodgings.

I know that I've mentioned this in another prior blog
but it is real incredible feeling to be working with these
people, it is like the camaraderie of a team as the best
way to describe it.

It was a busy week which is ok by me. I helped someone
with their university homework, helped fix the room up and
we are working slowly but surely with the Young San
Cultural Group to get them organized and ready to try and
get them to the tourist lodges along the Okavango River.

We are still trying to get all the original things together. There
is a chance that we may get some cracked ostrich shells for
making the traditional San jewelry. That should be interesting
to see being made, if we get them that is.

I am having about 6 months left without any changes in the
plan, yet. So, there was this slight urgency that was arriving
in getting the cultural group ready. Things happen slow out
here and I would just like to see their first performance at
a lodge (if they have one).

But I've talked with Gretchen and mentioned that if she
wanted to continue the work that was started with the
group after I am gone, that it would be a good thing. She's
a volunteer at heart and said that she would.

A lot of times us volunteers never get the chance to see any
results of our efforts. This may be another one of those
situations and ... if it is ... well that's how it goes.

1 comment:

bogdan said...

is there any reason for why are you calling him "the Romanian guy"? as his name is so difficult? if that's the reason, you could just call him "Bob" the Romanian guy... :)