"The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps".

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

It's sounding like the World Cup heya ...

That's because of what you see in the picture above.
By now I am sure that everyone who has been
following the World Cup knows what it is. It is
that old vuvuzela thing that makes that background
noise endlessly.

I am now the proud owner of the above mentioned
vuvuzela and truth be told ... I am kind of ecstatic
about it.

The story on my vuvuzela and how I came about it
is as follows ... Yesterday a few of my fellow volunteer
group mates came to visit the village on their way
back from South Africa and of course ... the World
Cup. They went to see three USA games and I believe
that the vuvuzela participated along with my colleagues
in each of the matches they attended.

So, after receiving the thing, I tried giving it a go and the
sound that came out was that of a wounded duck. Let
me say that a wounded duck has more volume that
I could muster. Of course everyone yukked it up at
my expense. But after a bit of practice I think I got it
and it is actually a pretty cool thing.

Tonight I think I will give it a toot every time a goal
is scored in the Portugal vs Spain match.

I think that the vuvuzela is unique to South Africa (but
I am not sure). I also received some information that they
are selling them at a food store in one of the bigger
towns. Next week I think that I may be heading that
way and will pick up a few so that we can use at our
soccer and netball games here in the village. I think
that they were selling for a dollar and a half US and
I think that it will add to the fun at the fields.

Oh yeah, how to make the sound ... people have said
it is like playing a trumpet. I just kept fooling with it
till I hit it right, now, it is just consistency.

The crazy thing is ... is that this is the first instrument
that I've ever learned to play in my life. I guess you
can teach an old dog some new tricks after all.

So, I am out of here ... time to go vuvuzeling.

No comments: