"The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps".

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Friday in the center of town

The strategy to waken up the center of
the village went really well today but of
course, not without some drama.
We built a netball court a little off the center
of town. Netball is a game played by women
and girls and it is something like basketball
without dribbling. It is just passing only. This
is the first time that I've seen it in action and
it is a pretty physical with a lot of running despite
the passing.
We planned for a few weeks and worked preparing
it for a week and yesterday (Thursday) they played
their first scrimmage. It was better than I thought it
would be. The placed was packed with players and
spectators. I was hoping that it would bring out people
to see some sports or good activities to balance out the
shebeens (or bars) that dominate the center of the
village/town. There is too much drinking here that includes
young people. The idea is to give the people some
alternative outlets and just hope that it can get the positive
and negative forces in some kind of balance.
So, this morning (Friday) we were going to go back to
the netball court to continue to clean it and get it in tip-top
shape. We got it playable but it is about a week away
from being totally finished. As we showed up to work
we see this huge tractor pulling a water tank buried
up to it's axle right in the middle of the court that we've
busted our butts over for the last week.
It's like, did we expect this netball court project to
actually go smooth without a hitch or some drama.
Of course not and the drama began when I asked the
driver ... Hey dude, why of all places in this whole
village are you buried up your axle in the middle of
the new netball court, which is not in the middle of
the road?
Needless to say he got a little angry and was mad at
us (me mainly). He got even madder when I then said
... Man, you are buried up to your rear end in the
middle of the court that we have been breaking our
backs over and then you are mad at us for asking
what ta heck happened. So, in the end I told him
that he wasn't our favorite person, which I think
is pretty reciprocal from his part.
Little did I know that he is the guy that does the
welding and work like that out of the agricultural
shop. He said that he wasn't going to help us out
ever again. I told him that I've lived 57 years
without him and hopefully another 57 more, also
without him. But when I said that I didn't know he
was the guy that did the welding ... etc work.
All I can say is ... oops. I guess I just added to
the degree of difficulty as far as doing projects go.
But in the end it was really kind of funny.
The day wasn't all lost because the San (Khwe)
cultural dance troupe came out in a live dress
rehearsal (in picture) and it was really great. They
are good and totally different than the Pulaars
and Wolof in Senegal. Tomorrow I am supposed
to go with them to a dance display and there ought
to be many different cultural tribes there, should
be good.
After the dancers were done the girls scrimmaged
on the newly repaired netball court and it was full of
people.
The center of town hasn't been this lively on a Friday
afternoon in a long time.
So, despite the drama and emergency repair of the court,
I'd have to say that the mission of animating the village
today was accomplished.
The last week has been full of incredibly long days but
it was worth it.
Also, for the people that I've fallen behind on emailing, I
have to apologize, it's been hectic and all it's been is back
to the house and just crashing for the night after the long
day. I hope to get caught with soon.

No comments: