"The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps".

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Flower Power - a Strategy

That's what I am hoping it will be.
What it is, is trying to transform the center
of the village. It is as drab as drab can be
and in fact, pretty depressing looking. It is
really in need of a lot of cleaning up and a
whole new attitude.
So, that is where the flowers come in. Really
they are the tool that I am hoping to use to
open up the eyes and minds of the people.
In the picture there is a flower that is in a tree
behind the house that I am staying in and not at
all the the type of flower that I am distributing
to anyone who is willing to plant them. Just
thought that it is an interesting flower, that's
why I took the picture.
I don't know the name of the flower that we
are actually planting but it looks to be something
resembling Vinca. It is virtually indestructible and
needs no care at all.They are easily accessible
and free. Also as rugged as can be and actually
not too bad looking. I'll post a picture of them
in a few weeks when a certain spot gets a little fuller.
In fact this morning the nurse at the health clinic
brought a bunch of them to plant in the support
group garden. I planted them and it should really
make that garden look beautiful and uplifting.
That's the key, uplifting and positive which
hopefully sparks a little enthusiasm to make this
village a lot cleaner and nicer.
I also planted a few in front of the Youth Office
building on either side of the entrance. The older
people say that that flower keeps the snakes
away.
I don't know but what ta heck, put them near the
doors I say.
Even Elizabeth, the lady that cooks bread in a hole
in the ground received some today. She's right
in the middle of the center of the village and she
started cleaning up that area so I asked her if
she wanted to plant them.
My thinking is to introduce some color into the drab
world that is the village. I am hoping that it will at
least influence a few people into sprucing up their
places.
So, can flower power strategy work? It can but will
it? That's going to be the topic of another blog
entry. I am wishing that it will be a good positive,
up with the village story.
Another one of these time will tell situations.

No comments: