"The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps".

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Out of the village

The time came to depart the village after three
years. It was rise at 5 then sitting with Bob the
Romanian guy to drink a cup of tea and
reminisce.

Then at 6:30 a.m. I left Bob's mission
(in the picture, window of left was my room)
to walk the one and a half kilometers to the
road to catch a hike out.
Bob walked along and after about an hour
a person stopped and I hopped on.
At that moment, all references to the village
was spoken in the past tense.

I have to say that out of the four tours I have
had in different countries, this one was the
most challenging. It was challenging for many
reasons and for that, I am happy. I was in a place
that had needs.

The main reasons were HIV/AIDS and the issue
was that many people didn't seem to take it seriously
despite the fact that they've seen people living
with it, dying from it and still, they contract HIV.
The frustrating part was they knew everything
about prevention but just ignored it especially
if alcohol was involved.

Which leads into reason two ... degree of alcohol
abuse. So much so as to the point where people
would buy it over making the choice of purchasing
food. Some wouldn't eat for days, just drink.
Another critical issue was the change in life style
of the San from traditional hunter gatherers. The
situation is so similar to that of the native Americans
over a 125 or so years ago. It has resulted in a
social crisis, especially between their generations.

I am not fooled to think that I saved the world
while I was there and I know ... they were
surviving before I arrived and will continue after
my departure.

I have found that it is about moments in time. It
is about living those moments, realizing and
enjoying that which is all fleeting. It is about doing
one's best, never giving up and caring for the people.
I feel that I have left it all on the field, so to speak, in
that village.

A few people said some nice words before I left
and I was totally surprised of what they spoke.
One said, that it wasn't only the physical or
financial help that he felt was important but the
ideas that I gave to help make his people better.
Another who was a soldier during the time the
South African Defense Force used the village as
a military base. He said that during that time there
were apartheid treatment and segregation in
the living areas. The black Africans in one
location and the whites in another.
Through that experience and since, he never
thought that he would see a white person ever
take time for black people. He said that I was
the first white that he'd seen go over to a black
person's house to sit, talk and socialize. He
stated that I changed his mind concerning white
people.

I was really surprised with these statements.
Always wondered if anything would come out
of my time here. I am blessed to have heard
these words. I have a kind of a going out on
top feeling to take with me.

So, as that moment in time has receded in the
rear view mirror, my thoughts are that of
gratitude to have even had the opportunity
to experience it at all.

Now, it is off to Okahandja.

1 comment:

Pat Owen said...

Hey Paul, you make the world a better place.