"The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps".

Monday, August 10, 2009

Divine Intervention

How else could I explain what I found upon
returning to the village.
After being away for two and a half weeks I
was somewhat skeptical and had a sense of ...
oh man, probably have to start all over again
to get things rolling. I was totally surprised to
see that that was exactly the last thing that I
had to deal with. In fact, the biggest problem I
had was to keep up to the changes.
Where do I start ... first ... the vegetable garden
is looking tremendous and the people are beginning
to eat and even sell some of their produce. They've
even found ways to maximize the space and have
probably been able to increase the useful area
by another 10% or so.
Then, the Youth Office organized soccer and netball
games last Saturday. Everyone just raved about
how great a day it was. They told me that the place
was packed with spectators and in some places, they
were two deep.
At the school they used all the paint and even though
it wasn't enough to finish the building, it looks great
nonetheless. I never thought that they would follow
through on their threat to continue painting after I left.
The lady that cooks bread in a hole in the ground has
decided to take her cooking area above ground and
has decided to expand her little business. For me,
it is all about the people getting the ambition and initiative
to make positive changes in their lives.
Also, here is where the title 'Divine Intervention' comes
in. In the picture you see three people from Romania.
From left to right is Lukas, Iliana and Bogdan.
They are part of a church and they are going to renovate
a beautiful big building and make it a church and living
quarters. I was told that they will be moving into the
village and that they are not only here for religious reasons
but to also work with the community. Many of the areas
of interest between us coincide so we should be able to
collaborate on many projects. But also, I just finished
a tour in Romania last December. I speak Romanian and
the only two other white people whom are going to live in
this village are from the country me, an American, lived in
for the past 3 years. There has to be some forces bigger than
us all organizing this, who knows?
Another thing that kind of falls into the realm of divine
intervention is that the generator that produces 8 hours
of electricity a day is broke. So where does the divine
intervention fit in? Shouldn't it be exactly opposite? If the
generator is broke then why would it be a good thing.
Well, a huge benefit from this is that there are less people
going to the shebeens (bars). Usually the shebeens have
the music blaring and at night it gives the youth a place
to go. But with the generator out of action, they are staying
home a little more. So, in a place like this that has a problem
with the bubbly stuff, it is truly a godsend.
From the personal side of this, when I see these little positive
things going on, I get even more energized and resolved to
not give up or get discouraged when situations are not
going as well as wanted. I am thinking that I fell into a bucket
of luck this time.
So, the truth is that there just may be hope for this ... the most
marginalized community in the country, to rise up like the
Phoenix. With all the good energy maybe we can rise up
from the ashes and soar.
Just like the plane in the 'Flight of the Phoenix', it doesn't have
to be pretty, it justs all has to work.

No comments: