"The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps".

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Staying in the loop

One thing about being away from the States is that there
at times are challenges to not lose touch with what
is happening on the home front.
Over the years, in rural areas of the foreign countries
that I've been in, the most reliable tool to do that is
nothing more complicated than a shortwave radio.
In the picture is my $15 US shortwave radio that at this
moment is allowing me to multi-task as I am typing this and
listening to the Voice of America at the same time.
Where we are we receive local radio channels only when
the electricity/generator is on. But the shortwave functions
apart from the receiver/transmitter system that the village
has, that again, only works when there is electricity.
Over the years I've listened to the presidential debates
between Bush and Kerry while I was in Senegal in 2004.
Albeit it meant waking up at 2:00 in the morning but it
was worth it.
With the internet, shortwave in the 'connected' countries
are somewhat of a dinosaur's way of delivering information.
In the majority of the rural world shortwave is still the only
way to be able to get outside info.
It has been many hours of BBC and VOA ... a lifeline to
staying up to date.
So, I think that I'm going to hit the one hour sleep timer
on the radio and listen to how the Tour de France is
progressing, ciao.

No comments: