"The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps".

Friday, May 22, 2009

Order in the court

That is where yesterday's meeting with the village's youth was. It also is a functioning courtroom in which trials are held. It is an every so often thing, how often? Don't know yet but I will look into it. The room is inside the building (picture in yesterday's entry) and also serves as a host for small meetings. The meeting went very well but it was the beginning only. Another humble start to what I am hoping will be a gradual growing of a solid youth program. They spoke of sports, theatre, choir and volunteering for community home based care. I would be not telling the truth if I wrote that things went exactly perfect. There wasn't lines of kids knocking the doors down but it was a small but quality group. We're starting from zero so it's challenging us, the leaders/organizers as well. I went by the women's support group garden this morning and it is in the standing room only category already. Hopefully we can start scrounging some materials to expand it next week. I have to say that I'm pretty happy with goings on here on the activity/project side. But that can all come crashing down in a New York minute. Going to be shuffling off to Buffalo tomorrow morning (really). There is a fellow volunteer (nearest one) at a village called Buffalo and I am planning on visiting. Best part is that this is where the game animals are. I was told of hippos eating right outside the hut and lions passing through the compounds during the night. With luck I am hoping to be able to be blogging about sightings from my own two peepers. Time to pack a bag. Don't want to be late for the Buffalo shuffle.

No comments: