"The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps".

Friday, May 1, 2009

Dried up watering hole

Seeing as we are situated in the Bwabwata Game Reserve a dried up watering hole could mean an anticipated gathering of animals when the rains come again. It will fill but it won't be all too exotic. This watering hole is for the village's cattle. I came upon today as I was doing a little venturing out exploring after lunch. It isn't located very far away from the village itself. A few people have told me that the UNITA rebels from Angola were around here around 10 or so years ago. There were also land mines placed as a result. So as I was just walking along through the bush, it entered in my mind that I didn't know to what extent they had placed or cleaned them up. I decided to stay on what looked like a path, head back and ask what was the land mine situation. The answer I got was that they cleaned them up around the village. It has been a while and people have been traveling the bush on a regular basis so it should be ok. But the not knowing at first did add to the degree of adventure.

No comments: