"The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps".

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Dinosaur sighting

The village is in the Bwabwata National Game Reserve so the sight of animals would be expected. But what about the dinosaurs you can view in the picture. Those are considered dinosaurs in the computer technology world. They were given by a hunter about three or four years back. They stayed in their boxes until last week when someone asked me to look them over. There were five all toll given to a village based organization. Only those two are functioning because over the years a few rats made them their 'cribs' and chewed up the cables inside. Probably in their effort to remodel, but, it made two of computers beyond repair. There were three at first but in less than two hours someone (who didn't know a thing) deleted some system files. So, back in the box it went. The computers are running Windows 2000 Professional, have no cd drives, no recovery disk or even one diskette to be able to repair what they did. That third computer took me two full days of ripping out cables, hard drives and memory and replacing in what I considered to be a mix and match orgy. Despite their turn of the century origins, they ran great. Well now two are in that category. I guess two out of three should make me happy. But after the years of doing this type of work/activity, I can honestly say I am numb to those types of things not going exactly the best it could have. A humourous thing is after asking me to get them running, no one knows how they should be managed. Oh well, it gives me something to write about. I am wondering how much longer the two remaining village dinosaurs will survive. Time will answer that, I'm sure.

1 comment:

Irene's Blog said...

Well, this project was right up your alley!!! I bet you loved it.
Irene