"The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps".

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Quality H2O

The water is running again and needless to say - life is good. It appears that some fuel for the pump at the bore hole arrived this morning. In the picture is where our side of town gets our H2O. As mentioned it is at least a quarter of a mile away. That is one of the three 25 liter jugs that I have. For those not familiar with the metric system there is about four or so liters to the gallon. Each gallon equals 8.34 lbs. So it is about 53 lbs when filled. The women carry water on their head. But me, I lug one in each hand for a total of 105 lbs. My strategy is to walk 50 steps then stop. Mostly because the handles of the jugs really dig into the hands. There really isn't much need to go to a gym when one is living in an African village. Also have to say the water is of drinkable quality. This sure is a good thing. Number one on my list of what I wouldn't mind having in a remote village setting. So from my seat near the cooking fire, under a star filled sky with a quarter moon and listening to a radio station in the Thimbukushu language, I say - kare po thiwana - may you stay well.

No comments: