"The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps".

Saturday, April 18, 2009

I am now officially ...

An Omega community member and a resident in the Bwabwata Game Reserve. The village is located within the reserve's boundaries. It is two-thirty on a beautiful Saturday afternoon and I am sitting in back of the house, in the shade, eating boiled peanuts with a neighbor and the lady of that house in with which I will be staying in. The generator is off until 5 p.m. as is usual. That means there is no radio reception. By being in a remote location it is neccessary to have a dish that receives the radio waves then re-transmits them throughout the community. So it is left to actually making conversation (novel idea, huh?) amongst ourselves. That is a challenge at the moment seeing as I am learning Thimbukushu and they are speaking in that language and Rukungali, Oshiwambo, Khoidam, Damarra, and god knows what other language, because I don't. I just sit there smiling and shaking my head yes when I think I'm supposed to respond. Again only god knows how dumb I must look by just smiling and nodding yes all the time. So that was what day one is about, here, somewhere in the middle of the Bwabwata Game Reserve.

No comments: