"The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps".

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter Sunday in Okahandja

This morning I went to the Elcin Evangelical Lutheran Church (in above picture) with my homestay sister for an Easter service. I am not the most devout person by nature but I do enjoy participating in various church services. Also the church's congregation is of the Ovambo people and they use the Oshiwambo language. I am learning the Thimbukushu language and even though they are both of the Bantou language family, they are not similar enough for me to understand more than just about nothing. My host sister brought a book of song/prayers and I was able to sing along despite not knowing what even one word meant. Also an interesting fact was that I was the only white person there. I defintely was noticed. From my view point it is an opportunity to be 'the minority' and to walk a mile in someone elses shoes. It sure does challenge the self but it does also allow an opportunity to work on eliminating ignorance. The least amount of ignorance the better I say, especially on this beautiful Easter Day 2009.

2 comments:

Pat Owen said...

Ngepi Paul! Thanks for posting such interesting pictures and stories. You're doing good there.

Irene's Blog said...

Hi Paul,
I thought I felt the earth move last night!!! Is the church still standing??? lol!!
love,
your sis,
Irene