"The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps".

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Xmas Eve

It is another Christmas time and being in a
warm weather climate (it is summer in the
southern hemisphere) gives it a different
feeling.

In the picture you can see my Christmas present.
I've been basically just staying in the village all
the time. Except for going out with the cultural
group on their excursions, being here is about it.
So this is a real treat.

A girl from the village named Mildred came back
for Christmas to visit her family. She brought what
you see in the picture above. Happy Lion is kind
of a Kentucky Fried Chicken place that's in the
big towns.

Mildred had some problems at the beginning of
the year while she was living in the capital. I met
her when I was there and I gave her a little help
and some advice.

With that help she got a job in Katima Mulilo and
is doing very well at the moment.

The other day she SMS / texted me to tell me that
she was bringing the Hungry Lion. She said that
when she had nothing I was there to help her so
she wanted to do this.

Christmas presents are in many shapes and forms.
It is about being happy which is really the best
present of all.The Hungry Lion worked well
... I can tell you that but the present that makes me
happiest of all (this may sound corny) is to see
that she is doing well.

I am also happy that she took the help and made
something with it.

Just helping one person may not save the world
but it will make it a better place, for sure. In the
life of a Peace Corps volunteer it may be 1 or 2
or hundreds that are affected, a lot of times we
never see any results. It happens after we're gone.

But I can say this, seeing Mildred doing well gave
me the best Christmas present ... happiness.

No comments: