"The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps".

Sunday, September 12, 2010

One picture per ...

It seems that through the years and experiences
that there has been one picture that just seems to
bring me back and sparks memories. They don't
just bring out moments but they rekindle the thoughts,
emotions and relationships with different cultures and
peoples.
From El Salvador, it is a picture of a campesino
family that really speaks of how my consciousness
saw it at the time.
From Senegal it is a picture of two children of about
8 years. They were brother and sister and were
a couple of the neighbor's children. The girl was just
the funniest kid I have ever met. She had the sense of
humor of an adult and her all I want for Christmas is
my two front teeth smile ... added to it. I don't even
remember their names but it just brings back to how
even though times were a little difficult, that there were
a lot of laughs too.
In Romania it is the picture of the man trumpeting the time
from the tower of the Slovakian Lutheran Church. Almost
everyday while walking through town the man would
go out on the walkway and in four directions, blow the
horn that actually resembled the vuvuzela of the South
Africa World Cup 2010 fame.
Above is the picture that will forever bring me back to this
space and time. Even though there is still time left and more
pictures to be taken, I don't know what it is, but this photo
just has just jumped out and will be the trigger to always
bring me back to the life in the bush with the San people.
This picture we used as the background opener for this
San Cultural Group's little DVD.
It even has the kid (second from the right, in the back)
doing his interpretation of 'crazy eyes'.
As I've said many times to some of my fellow volunteers.
When we look back at our time in the Peace Corps we will
be forever young (or in my case, younger).
The only problem will be choosing where to be younger at.

No comments: