"The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps".

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Bitter sweet week

It is the day after Christmas and the end of
another week. As the title states it was a
bitter sweet week all in all.

First the sweet part ...

There is steady progress on the HIV/AIDS
informational DVD in the San language (Khwedam).
It took since the end of April to even get it started
but weekly we are adding another few segments.
The goal is to get it ready by at least the middle of
January.

Also, on Christmas eve there was a beauty contest
in the center of the village/town. I wasn't there but
the word is that it went well and it was a good time
for all. I don't know who won other than the
description I got was ... she's short. But for this
village, any activity that isn't revolved around
drinking is a plus.

Christmas day in a place that is over 100 degrees
Fahrenheit in the sun, takes a little imagination.
So, what happened was that we went to the game
park to look at the animals (never get tired of that ).
By we I mean, me and the four Romanian people
that are living in the village at the moment. For me
it wasn't the typical New England Christmas.
It was driving along in a van that had 'Get Ready.
Jesus is coming soon' written on the sides. Also it
was speaking in the Romanian language and for
a minute it was like I had never left Romania.
There were the normal zebras and impalas but
the treat of the day was the giraffes (in photo).
In all there were eight giraffes on the side of the
road. They are some real pretty animals when
seen in the wild.

There doesn't seem to be a very big festive activity
attached to Christmas here. It is mainly Christian
but the presents and things like that ... didn't see
them. Also, no one knows who Santa Claus is.
So, I spent some time trying to describe this
concept. No one heard much about the North Pole,
a man with a sleigh or someone who comes down
the chimney at night. They did understand that
Santa only brings toys for good girls and boys.
I tried to explain, I did my best but I don't think
it was good enough and I am sure that they have
no idea who Santa is and are probably more
confused.

Now the bitter part of the week. It is a sad thing.
It is about the three legged dog. The hero of the
prior blog article. I went by the Romanians place
this afternoon and was immediately told that the
three legged dog was killed last night. He was
hit by a police vehicle. There are only about
four vehicles total in the whole village, so.
The three legged dog, the hero, is gone,
just ain't right.

So that's it for this week.

No comments: