"The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps".

Sunday, September 20, 2009

in Namibia

I've kind of written about this in my prior Romanian
blog so it is kind of a repetitive topic. Repetitive as
far the emotion is concerned but despite that it is
really as new as new can be.
I am talking about the thought that comes to mind every
so often when there is just a second or two to think of
where you are.
For someone from another country it is all new and
different and really exciting to be a witness to what is life
out of one's culture and out of one's style of living.
Not all things attached to those differences are pleasing.
Many times there is a degree of stress as part of the
package.
In every country I've been in and when being present to
an event that was so unlike those of my origins, the
reality that, heck, I'm somewhere where not very many
people get to, comes to mind.
In Senegal a fellow volunteer would say ... yes ... it is this
or it is that ... but ... in Senegal. Then the thought would
just enter and the magnitude of the moment of where, would
just make it all, ok.
This morning was like that again here in Namibia.
I went to the church located at the mission in which I am living.
There was a group of young people whom stayed at
the mission this weekend. They are from a town called
Divundu about 70 km away from us out here in the bush.
They are also some of the more exemplary students and
they are so different from the kids out here.
They are a netball team at the best school in their town.
They are the choir at their church and who knows what
else they are.
But this morning, they just energized the village's church
members with their newness of attitude and ways of
doing things. To the point that they even kind of lighted a
little fire under the village's church choir. I never knew
that our choir had any capability or more to the crux,
any life.
It was really the place to be. The young choir just sang
and danced, incredibly. The church members were
actually singing their hearts out. But that was after the
shock of seeing the young group going to town.
It was exciting being present to this activity today.
For me, the thought came to mind. I am experiencing
all this ... in Namibia.
The in Senegal/in Namibia works for good and bad.
There is still another year and a half left, I wonder how
many more times I will think ... in Namibia.

No comments: