"The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps".

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Under a full Namibian moom

Well, it's another Saturday night and and as
you can see in the picture, a full moon. You'll
have to excuse the quality of the photo. I took
it with the cell phone and doctored it up a little
with an picture editing program. But I think it
is more of a, this is what I'm looking at, representation.
It's been an interesting week with a lot of things
that went on and with a lot of potential mixed in.
It started with the call from another volunteer who
is working a computer lab project for schools.
The school here filled out a survey form a few weeks
back and I was happy to be informed that they
are in line to receive 20 computers. The school
just has to come up with about 10% of the cost.
That money will be reinvested for chairs, tables
and the like.
I spoke with the principal and all he has to do is
deposit the money into the project's account and
we're off. But, until he does it, any outcome is
possible.
The women's support group garden's water challenges
has been dealt with fairly well. I did the McGyver
thing and a few other ones too and so far there
is enough water. Again, this is a day by day situation.
We will be starting a woman's netball activity. I've
never seen a netball game so I can't describe it
yet but it is a popular game. We picked out a spot
for a netball court and it is in fact almost in the
middle of town. I lobbied for this and this is an idea
taken from my El Salvador tour. There they put the
soccer field right in the middle of town and it was a
good thing because there was always some positive
energy out there. Be it them playing a game, or practicing,
or kids just playing around. So, I am hoping that by
locating the court near the center of town, which is
predominantly shebeens (alcohol places/bars), that
it might kind of start to balance the life style forces.
So I am hoping that the force will be with us on this
one. I am really interested to see how that is going to
pan out.
The hyena researcher mentioned that she had a friend
in the USA that was interested in sending educational
videos to here (Namibia). Don't know the topics of
the videos but I have to say that they are so needed.
Because of our isolation and lack of TV reception,
the people are really in the dark. No one knows what
the EU is and they are going to be getting a visitor
representative some time soon. A lot of funding for
projects comes from the EU. So, anything that can
bring information would be good. Right now there
are TVs but with video players only. All they watch
are movies like Rambo and the such. Nothing that's
going to get any people knocking on the doors of
Harvard any time soon.
A lot of opportunities and to be real, got to see the
computers, videos and netball games before I actually
believe that it happened. That's how this Peace Corps
thing goes.
But if they do come, then I think that we'll be heading
in the right direction with a bullet.
Going to end it here, tomorrow it is at the garden early
to make sure that things are going well then it's off to
the lady who is going to be the main organizer for the
netball activity.
Happily I can say that there hasn't been any days off
since I've been in the village.
That's what I'm here for.

No comments: