"The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps".

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Slow day in town

It was an unusually slow day in the village today.
In fact it led me to ask someone about just such
observation. The reply I received was ... it's the
end of the month. Ah, it all made sense as to the
quiet or less busy nature of the village on this day.
End of the month means payday for those receiving
salaries and as there are no banks or ATMs, it is
the time to blow out of Dodge and get one's compensation.
Despite that there was some progress today as the
final details on the location of the new soccer field
(in photo) were hammered out but to probably be
changed later on.
The village school is hosting about 12 kids from Scotland
who are spending a week volunteering to do some
work to improve one of it's buildings.
The kids are of high school age and they spent a classroom
time with kids who attend the school here. I wasn't present
but heard from the teacher that they were just talking like
kids do and were so involved in their discussions that they
didn't even take time for the scheduled break. This is
good stuff.
For me it was a kind of slow day as opposed to the last
week. But I did accomplish my daily goal of trying to
improve the village daily even if it is only a minute thing.
The small things were starting a seed bed for cabbage and
spending an hour or so cleaning the volleyball court and
around it. But did a lot of talking to a teacher about what
are things we can do to make school more attractive and
fun for the village kids. This is a difficult challenge as most
of the parents either haven't attended school, do not impress
the need or support for education for their kids, or to me
the worst of all, drink too much.
Didn't change the world or the village today but that's ok,
there's tomorrow.
But did have two great t-shirt with writing on them sightings.
One was from one of the Scottish girls and her t-shirt had ...
life is a jungle ... written on it which I thought was a little
humorous and appropriate seeing as we are 70 km out in
the bush.
The other was a village girl's t-shirt that read ... my dad is
my credit card. Just struck me funny.
Well, hopefully tomorrow will be a little more productive
but in this Peace Corps gig, there are guarantees that
it will.
I am keeping a seed packet of hot peppers just in case, at
least I know that I will accomplish another seed bed tomorrow,
at the least.

1 comment:

Irene's Blog said...

Where do they get the booze??? and how can they afford it??