"The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps".

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Little McGyver action

In the photo you see what I've considered
a little bit of a McGyver solution to a situation.
The situation being again at the women's HIV
support group garden and the struggle to provide
enough water to keep the plants alive and
thriving.
The bathtub that is the reservoir/distribution point
has a hole where the drain used to be before it
was removed. What happens is that the water
tap is left open due to the unpredictability of the
time in which the water will flow. With that hole
the water runs out and basically has no impact at
all to the development of the plants.
It has been there staring us in the face for even
before I landed on the shores of this bush village.
But I always felt that there was something that
could be done to add another means of transferring
water through that hole. Or more simply put, get
some kind of fixture that would allow us to hook
up a hose or tube.
The problem was, no fixtures, no wrenches, no money
and the nearest place with anything could be either
45 or 125 miles away.
I have to my disposal ... a leatherman - lite model. I
thought to myself, this is definitely a chance to do a
McGyver impersonation, but with what?
The solution came to me yesterday morning as I was
walking by the myriad of trash piles. What you see
in the picture is the solution. It is two plastic bottle
necks, one into each other. The smaller throated one
inserted into the bigger one. The plastic top of the
smaller one had a hole cut in in. With a plastic bag
washer made to fill in the small void, it actually worked.
Not perfect, I'd guess about 85% of the water gets to
go into various garden plots.
It saves work, waste of good water and helps to fight
the struggle to have enough water to keep the garden
machine rolling along.
This morning when I arrived at the garden I was curious
to see if it'd work. The ladies were taking out water
so there was a little wait for the level to rise where the
water would seep out of the plastic bottle fixture and
through the PVC hose.
Well, it did and it worked just great.
I am pretty tickled with this as it was a good little
challenge to solve but it will also help the ladies
to work and manage the garden.
As mentioned it an other prior blog entry, the garden is
to help provide an improved healthy diet for the ladies
and their families. With HIV attacking the immune system,
the improved diet helps the system to be a little stronger.
It is amazing to be working side by side with these ladies.
Despite their status, many are upbeat and actually pretty
funny with their humor.
With about 2 years left I don't know how many will
still be participating in the garden in the future. I hope
they all do.
I just wish a cure for the virus was as easy as a leatherman
and good intentions.

No comments: