"The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps".

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Junk or gold mine ...

One of the things that I enjoy about this village
is that it is full of useful junk.
As mentioned in prior articles this village was
a South African military base. It's been at least
20 years or so since it was last used as such but
there is still a lot of things hanging around.
Every time I walk through the village I am finding
these pieces of wire or old hinges or pipes or
pvc tubes. All things that with a leatherman, hammer,
nails and a small dose of imagination, can become some
cool little gadget or solution to some need.
This afternoon I decided to go out in the bush to look
for sticks that I could use to support the tomato
plants in the garden. What I came upon (in photo) was
an old fuel dump about 50 meters from the landing strip.
Just assuming that it was for planes.
Also noticed an old portion of a fence around it with
regular and barbed wire. Could be useful when we
expand the women's support group garden.
One of those old fuel drums looks like it has a solar
oven potential transformation in it's future. Just need
to get a piece of glass and some type of insulation.
But that's just a matter of time till I stumble upon those
items.
For me it is just a fun thing to look at some interesting
piece of junk and think of what are the possibilities
of making something with it.
I like the having to rely on the wits to come up with
new things that will make life easier and re-cycle
or clean up this place a bit.
When I was in El Salvador and Senegal we would
have died to have this type of access to home
improvement goodies.
I guess the true question is, is it junk or is it a gold
mine. I think that it is a gold mine of parts that
allows limitless imagination.
Looking forward to more jaunts in the bush, wonder
if I can find and poles for basketball and some
pipes for the kids mini soccer goals and ... who
knows what other junk ... er ... I mean gold is out there.

No comments: