"The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps".

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Bar raising

I wish that the garden you see in the
picture was the one that I've written about
in several prior articles. But the truth is ...
it isn't.
This is a community garden in another village
about 30 or so kilometers up the road. I
couldn't get the whole garden in the photo and
it is even better than what you see.
Today we went up the Kavango/Caprivi strip
and stopped in a few of the villages. This one
is noted for it's garden so I couldn't pass up an
opportunity to see it.
What seeing this garden has done is raised the bar
pretty high in comparison to ours in the village. Ours
is OK ... only ... there is actually too much shade
and I've been mentioning that we need to trim
some branches off the trees. It has fallen on deaf
ears as of now.
One of the younger community members had a good
idea. In fact, it is tied in to not passing up seeing
that garden and taking pictures. He said that I should
take the photos and then bring them back here to show
the people what they are doing there. Of course the
reason being to motivate and in my mind ... to challenge.
In this case the challenge is the personal challenge that
we could have to aid us in ourselves raising the bar.
If we do that then we are going pretty well and
everyone would be somewhat happier.
It is difficult to transfer one's passion or intensity or
enthusiasm as in the feeling that I have of wanting to
do better than the great garden that is in that village.
I can transfer the knowledge and technical things
and the such. But the emotion, that is also ... the
challenge.
So tomorrow I will show those pictures to the
appropriate people in hopes that it will do as it is
said ... say a thousand words.
Maybe it is unrealistic to think that the people will get
a thousand words of message out of it ... I'd really
settle for changing one emotion. That is ... darn it, I
want to do better and raise the bar a little higher.
Well, I am going to crash and hope that it will go the
way of changing that one emotion tomorrow.
It would be one great day if it did.

No comments: