"The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps".

Sunday, March 22, 2009

This Sunday morning

I went to church with the mother of the homestay family that I am staying with in Okahandja. The name of the church is 'Universal Church of the Kingdom of God' and as I was at the service a thought of the other churches of different religions that I have seen over the last 8 plus years, came to mind. From the 6 different churches in the village I was in with a population of 350 in El Salvador. To the Mosque of the village in Senegal. And on to the Orthodox churches in Romania. I have seen the uniquenesses, with each as interesting as the other. But this 'Univesal Church' is the newest new church experience for me. What was different here was the church choir. Here in Namibia, choirs are popular with each school usually having one. There are competitions and I have heard that they pretty formidable at that. The 'Universal Church' choir consisted of 15 teenagers and they were really great. Their tremendous voices were used to sing in the Rukangali language. They had a traditional drum which was about 3 feet or 1 meter tall. Also the dancing style was different than what I had seen in Senegal. Here, there is more of what I can describe as 'leg stomping'. It looks powerful and it reminded me that I was in a different place. It also reminded me that for the opportunity I had to be there, that I was a lucky guy.

No comments: